Basic Go-To Makeup Look // Makeup Talk


Hi all! Today I am sharing a run down on the most basic makeup look ever! Sometimes I wear this to work, other times I use it as a base to build on for something more dramatic. While the products I use day-to-day (okay lets be honest here, I don't wear makeup every single day anymore...if I don't have to leave the house or do anything major, sometimes I am just too lazy) may change, the general idea is the same.

1. Light coverage and oil control
2. Covering dark circles
3. Definition of the eyes and cheek bones
4. Blush and a hint of color on the lips
5. Mascara

Honestly, some days I just depend on concealer for my under eye area, lip balm, and my lash curler (best makeup tool every invented in my opinion). If I am just going to the gym and grocery store that day, that is probably the most I will do. Sigh. Regardless, for those days that I have an extra pep in my step, I will whip this look out! Also, I realllllly need a selfie stick, or just a brand new camera with better settings-the quality of the photos and the angles I can get (due to said quality and lack of lighting settings) really discourage me from posting more frequently, so please, bear with me!

First, I started with freshly washed and moisturized skin. I go back and forth with cleansers and lotions, but I am currently using the Alba Good & Clean Cleanser and a slew of different lotions that are lightweight and promise oil-control (does anyone have any lotion recommendations?!). Next, I primed on this day with DHC Clarifying Pore Cover Base. Still trying this one out, but I don't know how I feel about it just yet (so-so oil control abilities). My next step is my beyond loved It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream (shade light, because I couldn't find my medium shade), with the Physicians Formula Instaready Concealer (shade light), I concealed my under eyes. This concealer is pretty great so far, coverage and longevity wise.

Once all the concealing and evening out is done, I dampen a beauty sponge and "bake" my under eyes and t-zone with the Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Loose Finishing Powder (that is a mouthful). I can't say I love this powder, but until I find a great (more natural) replacement for my Mac Blot Powder or Maybelline Studio Master Fix Loose setting powder.

Next, I contoured my cheek bones, temple (the "3, E method") and a bit of my nose with the PUR Cameo Contour Dual Ended Contour Stick in shade "light". I popped a bit of the highlight (more of just a brightening effect than actual highlight) on my cheek bones. For my cheeks, I used the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Blush in shade "Je Ne Sais Quoi". On my eyes, I used the It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Essentials Matte Luxe Transforming Eye Shadow Palette. I mixed the shades "Imagine" and "Wonder" and placed it on my whole lid. Next, I used "Dream" and "Passion" to lighten blend upwards toward my brow bone, for dimension. After some blending, I placed the slightest bit of "Intrigue" in the outer "V" of my eye for a little bit more depth. To finish off, I took the "Transforming Hello Light" from the palette and put it on my brow bone, center of my lid, cheekbones, top of my nose (for a bit of highlight) and on my cupids bow (above my lip). My super easy eye look is nearly complete after this! Side note: I have a lot (like, A LOT) of lid space to work with when it comes to applying eyeshadow. I don't ever really go around with my eyes closed, trying to show off my eyeshadow, so how I apply it may look different than how you may apply it (depending on your lid size and shade). How I apply mine helps to show off the final look once my eyes are open, if that makes sense!

The last step for eyes is curling them with my lash curler, and then swiping on Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara. This stuff does a great job separating my lashes and added volume! For my lips, I used Bite Beauty Lip Pencil in shade "012" (a plum taupe) to line my lips, and then placed Ilia's Tinted Lip Conditioner in "Blossom Lady" all over my lips. Voila, the look is complete!




Be sure to share your favorite staples for a quick make up look in the comments or via email!

Thanks for reading,
XO, Kelsey